2021 SEASON RESULTS
A Year In Review
Our 2021 season was like none other our club had ever seen. From our smallest Dragons, all the way to our biggest, we were one teal united front, and we were here to prove one thing – that Dragons were here to stay. Our committee had worked hard to lock in the best people for the job, our uniforms were crisp, our coaches were determined, and our players had their eye on the prize. We were ready.
We took the field with vengeance this year – from Under 8’s all the way through to A Grade Men, we were here to win! Alas, not every game may have been perfect, it was very clear Dragons were here to shake things up. As a smaller Club of the TDRU, we came through as the underdogs, and it was a title we wore with pride all season. Although a smaller club, we managed to secure ourselves some big-name coaches. Men and women who were determined to not only teach their players, but to learn from those around them. We saw the coach Matty Campbell work seamlessly with the First-Grade coach Dave Whalen and together creating not only one but TWO unstoppable juggernaut teams! Together they led the charge for the Under 18 Boys that were the undefeated Minor Premiers and the Third Grade Men who were both the Minor and Major Premiers. We had QLD Country player, Jessica Schwartz take the season off to create her own baby Dragon while coaching the Under 14 Girls to Grand Final glory. We cannot forget to mention our fearless Director of Coaching, Campbell Yates. Campbell started our women’s team in 2014 and coached them to a seamless grand final win. He is our biggest advocate for women’s rugby and flawlessly coached them to yet another win in the 2021 season!
Our coaches themselves also had some incredible personal wins in their coaching appointments.
- Head Coach North Queensland Senior Women
- Head Coach Townsville Brolgas Senior Women’s
- Head Coach Townsville Brolgas U18s Girls
- Head Coach Townsville Brolgas U17s Girls
- Assistant Coach Under19 Men North Queensland
- Assistant Coach Senior Men Townsville Brolgas
Now we have covered our fearless leaders, lets talk a little bit about what we did on the field!
- 8 out of 11 finals featured the mighty Dragons
- Senior Men Grand Final Winners of Townsville Beach Rugby 5's
- 2 Minor Premierships Winners (U18s and Third Grade Men)
- 4 Grand Finalist Teams (U13 Boys, U14 Girls, Third Garde Men and Senior Women)
- 3 Major Premiership Winners (U14 Girls, Third Grade Men and Senior Women)
- 2 Grand Final TDRU awarded Players of the Match (Third Grade Men and Senior Women)
- U18s Player of the Season
- 7 senior men, 9 senior women, 8 girls and 4 boys from from U12s through to U19s selected for Townsville Brolgas
- 5 boys selected from U12s to U18s for NQ School boys
- 3 senior men, 6 senior women and 1 U19s boy selected for the North Queensland Team
- 6 senior women and 1 senior male selected for the Queensland Country Team
We are so beyond proud of every person that strapped on boots this season. These results are a credit to you. We would also like to acknowledge for every support person this season. For every parent who drove their kid to training, every partner that helped with rest and recovery and muddy sports gear, and every family member and friend that sat on the sideline and cheered on anyone in teal. To every person that came to our club in whatever capacity, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you. Once a dragon, always a dragon! Let’s bring on 2022!